Friday, April 29, 2016

Michael's Picture

Michael's Picture- August 31, 2014



Michael brought me a picture; actually it was a gift he made for me when we visited last month.  He’s five, or rather, going on five, as he would say.  He is also my grandson. 


Unlike Michael, I never really knew either of my grand fathers.  One died when I was younger than Michael.  The other when I was twelve.  It’s funny what you remember; I don’t recall ever seeing either one of them smile.  To be honest, I don’t think either one was ever very interested in being my grandfather, of spending time with me, or just talking to me.  

I’ve always heard it said that people were just different back then and maybe they were, or maybe that’s just the bandage we put on it, so it doesn’t hurt so much. I don’t know. 
So anyway, back to this picture. Michael drew it and then colored it, just for me. Maddie his older sister (by two years) has given me tons of pictures, sometimes taking hours to complete just one.  And I keep them all.  I have them on the walls in my office, in my bookcase, and I usually have a couple in my suitcase when I travel. 

Grandbabies…they see world so differently. They don’t really understand the value of things.  They don’t have money, and even if they did, a dollar might as well be a hundred dollars, or thousand; but when they make something, its like they have made the most priceless thing on earth--and they made it just for you. 
And I’ve never bothered to tell them that the things they make are just paper and crayons and scribbling… and not what they think they’re worth.   

They’re worth... a whole lot more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment