Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Story of the Wizard's Coat Real?

I had a lot of responses on the OZ story, which I really like. Even the skeptics! Particularly the skeptics! 
Just so you know there have been a number of people who have supposedly "debunked" the story of the Wizard's Coat as a studio publicity stunt. Early on, I think even members of the Baum family said it wasn't true, but L. Frank Baum died in 1919 and the filming didn't happen until circa 1936, so it is doubtful that any of the actual family members were on the set when the name was discovered--primarily because most studios, even today, don't allow the writers (much less their families) on the set unless it is in their contract with the studio. 

I did read an interview with the tailor (who made the coat) and she confirmed that it did actually belong to L. Frank Baum. And sometime after the film was made the coat was actually returned to the Baum family, though I don't know when. 
So in the final analysis, is the story true? None of it? Some of it? All of it? Not sure we will ever know. I just thought it was a cool story, as most urban legends are. And in the end you will just have to make up your own mind. 
By the way there have been other OZ "debunkers" who have also said that there are no such things as flying monkeys and that witches are not all green... but I'm not buying it... Ha ha. Thank you for reading my stuff. 
km

No comments:

Post a Comment